Damsel

Damsel

Book - 2018
Average Rating:
Rate this:
3
"The rite has existed for as long as anyone can remember: When the king dies, his son the prince must venture out into the gray lands, slay a fierce dragon, and rescue a damsel to be his bride. This is the way things have always been. When Ama wakes in the arms of Prince Emory, she knows none of this. She has no memory of what came before she was captured by the dragon or what horrors she faced in its lair. She knows only this handsome young man, the story he tells of her rescue, and her destiny of sitting on a throne beside him. It's all like a dream, like something from a fairy tale. As Ama follows Emory to the kingdom of Harding, however, she discovers that not all is as it seems. There is more to the legends of the dragons and the damsels than anyone knows, and the greatest threats may not be behind her, but around her, now, and closing in"--Front jacket flap.
Publisher: New York : Balzer + Bray, An Imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, [2018]
Edition: First edition
ISBN: 9780062742322
0062742329
Branch Call Number: TEEN F ARN
Characteristics: 309 pages ; 22 cm

Opinion

From the critics


Community Activity

Comment

Add a Comment
b
BratChyld
Mar 23, 2019

Well that is not how I expect this book to end, and very safe to say that there won't be a series from it. I mean honestly, how can you write a book about repressing a girl because she's a "damsel" and you're now "King". Overall it's a very emotional read, but I was able to finish it in a day. I gave it 3/5 stars. 🌠🌠🌠

b
bookworm3121957
Feb 17, 2019

Bad, bad, bad story. 95% of this story is okay but the remaining 5% is absolutely criminal. The author has romanticized a molestation. Ama, the damsel rescued by "her prince," is an innocent indebted to her rescuer for everything. She is manipulated into accepting his advances with the threat that he will dispose of her beloved pet lynx if she does not do what he demands. What is redeeming about a young girl put into a position of an overpowering authority who has her life in his hands? And on top of this, this book received a "TEEN" sticker, so impressionable young women is this acceptable because the Prince/King was her knight in shining armor.

Watermelody Jan 26, 2019

Really cool concept, but average execution. I found it difficult to connect to and like the main character (despite her love of cats), I think due to the poor use of third person perspective. Admittedly, I only read the first 50 pages, but the story refused to pick up.
If you like twists on fairy tales, e.g. Cinders, have a go at it.

Age

Add Age Suitability

There are no ages for this title yet.

Summary

Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.

Notices

Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.

Quotes

Add a Quote

There are no quotes for this title yet.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number

Recommendations

Subject Headings

  Loading...

Find it at DPL

  Loading...
[]
[]
To Top